The new issue of Polish American Studies (vol. 72, no. 1) is here!
In Memoriam section includes obituaries of Professor Victor R. Greene and Reverend Leonard F. Chrobot, who both contributed to the development of Polish American history as a discipline.
In the Editor's Note, Professor James S. Pula comments on his thirty years of editorship of Polish American Studies, as he steps down from this position.
In his article "Troubles with 'Mela': A Polish-American Reporter, the Secret Services of People's Poland, and the FBI," Pawel Zietara reveals the Communist authorities' attempts at infiltration of American Polonia in the 1950s and 60s. The article is based on the research in declassified records of Poland's intelligence and security structures.
Robert Szymczak in his article: "Cold War Airwaves: The Polish American Congress and the Justice for Poland Campaign" highlights the activities and impact of the popular radio program initiated by the Western Massachusetts Division of PAC in 1945 in order to present the plight of Poland and the region in the wake of the betrayal at Yalta.
Patricia B. Yocum in "Leaving Kozuchow, a Village in Bobrzechow Parish, Galicia," presents an analysis of Polish population who left the same area in the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, in order to extend our understanding of migration from rural Galicia.
Thomas J. Napierkowski in the article "The Khaki Boys Series: Images of Polish Americans, 1918-1920," discusses a collection of six novels aimed at adolescent audience and published in the United States following World War I. The novels perpetuated hurtful stereotypes of Polish Americans, which were then present in popular culture.
Two books reviewed in this issue of Polish American Studies deal with the goral culture in America and the intellectual contributions of Professor Piotr Wandycz.
Join the Polish American Historical Association and receive a subscription to Polish American Studies and PAHA Newsletter as part of your membership!
- Editor: Anna D. Jaroszyńska-Kirchmann, Eastern Connecticut State University,email@example.com
- Book Review Editor: Mary Patrice Erdmans, Case Western Reserve University,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book Review Editor for Poland: Anna Mazurkiewicz, University of Gdansk, Poland,email@example.com
- M. B. B. Biskupski, Central Connecticut State University
- Tobias Brinkmann, Pennsylvania State University
- John J. Bukowczyk, Wayne State University
- William J. Galush, Loyola University Chicago
- Ann Hetzel Gunkel, Columbia College Chicago
- Gabriela Pawlus Kasprzak, University of Toronto, Canada
- Grazyna Kozaczka, Cazenovia College
- Karen Majewski, University of Michigan
- Thomas J. Napierkowski, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Neal Pease, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- Angela Pienkos, Polish Center Wisconsin
- James S. Pula, Purdue University
- John Radzilowski, University of Alaska - Southeast
- Francis D. Raska, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
- Dariusz Stola, Museum of the History of Polish Jews, Warsaw, Poland
- Adam Walaszek, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
- Joanna Wojdon, University of Wroclaw, Poland