PAHA's 74th Annual Meeting will be held on January 5-7, 2017 in Denver, Colorado as part of the 131st American Historical Association's Annual Conference. The theme for the 2017 AHA conference is "Historical Scale: Linking Levels of Experience." AHA encourages contributors "to trace links among scales—spatial, temporal, and topical." This theme provides an excellent opportunity for the Polish American Historical Association to showcase research carried out by its members, as well as to present it in a comparative perspective.
We invite scholars who work on the Polish American experience as part of the greater Polish diaspora as well as those who deal with migration, ethnic, and regional studies. We invite proposals for sessions as well as individual papers.
Presentations may address the following areas:
- Polish American experience – all aspects (history, sociology, literature, art, music, etc.) in the Americas
- Migration and settlement patterns, ethnic experience and interethnic encounters, Polish Americans and Poland
- Intersections of ethnicity, gender and race
- Ethnic press, ethnic lobbying, labor issues
- Polish Americans and Polish American communities in the American West
The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2016. Abstracts for papers and panel proposals are now being accepted and should be submitted to the Chair of the Program Committee: Grazyna J, Kozaczka, Ph.D., Cazenovia College, Cazenovia, NY 13035; phone: 315-655-7302; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic proposals in email and word format are strongly preferred. Individuals and session organizers should include the following information when submitting a proposal:
- Paper/Session title(s) (of no more than 20 words)
- Paper/Session abstract(s) (up to 300/500 words, respectively)
- Biographical paragraph or c.v. summary (up to 250 words) for each participant
- Correct mailing and e-mail address for each participant
- Chair (required) and commentator (optional) for the session
- Audiovisual needs, if any.
Please be advised that it is not always possible for PAHA to provide AV equipment for all sessions due to the high cost of mandatory rental from AHA so let us know in your proposal if using AV equipment is necessary for your presentation. We also encourage distribution of paper handouts as an alternative.
GRADUATE STUDENT/YOUNG SCHOLAR TRAVEL GRANT
PAHA encourages graduate students and young scholars (up to three years after graduation) to apply for our travel grants. Two such grants of $500.00 each will be awarded to offset travel costs to attend the 2017 PAHA Annual Meeting in Denver. The grants will be awarded by the program committee to the two best conference proposals dealing with Polish American topics submitted by graduate students/young scholars. To apply please include a brief letter of application and a CV together with the paper proposal. Each awardee must present the paper at the conference in person and will receive the check at the conference in Denver. Also Graduate Students are encouraged to apply for the Graduate Student Research Paper Award, please see details at: Call for Nominations Page.
All presenters are encouraged to submit their papers for possible publication in PAHA's scholarly journal, Polish American Studies.
The Polish American Historical Association holds its Annual Conference in conjunction with the American Historical Association (AHA). The full information about the AHA conference can be found at www.historians.org. PAHA members who plan to attend PAHA conference only do not need to register for the AHA conference, but are required to register for the PAHA conference by November 15, 2016. Registration may be done on-line at www.polishamericanstudies.registration.html.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR PAHA's 2015-16 AWARDS
Nominations are sought for the following awards. Kindly send all nominations to the chair of the awards committee, Dr.Iwona Drag-Korga (Pilsudski Institute) at email@example.com.
GRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH PAPER AWARD - DUE APRIL 15, 2016
The Polish American Historical Association announces the call for nominations and applications for the Graduate Student Research Paper Award.
The Graduate Student Research Paper Award recognizes a substantial original research paper on Polish-American history and culture produced by a young scholar in the humanities or social sciences.
A paper should be sent via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org before April 15th, 2016.
In addition to the recognition by PAHA and a potential paper publication offer from the interdisciplinary, refereed scholarly journal The Polish American Studies (the publication is not guaranteed), the winner will receive a $1,000 travel grant to present the paper at the PAHA 2017 Annual Meeting in Denver, January 2017. The conference is held in conjunction with the American Historical Association.
The candidate for the award must be a graduate student at the time of the application or nomination. In addition to the paper (up to 25 pages, 1.5 spaced, Times New Roman 12) any submission must contain: graduate student's short biographic note, 250-word abstract, and one letter of reference. The results will be announced by June 15, 2016
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR PAHA'S OTHER AWARDS - DUE APRIL 15, 2016
- Mieczyslaw Haiman Award is offered annually to an American scholar for sustained contribution to the study of Polish Americans.
- Oskar Halecki Prize recognizes an important book or monograph on the Polish experience in the United States. Eligibility is limited to works of historical and/or cultural interest, including those in the social sciences or humanities, published in the two years prior to the year of the award.
- Skalny Civic Achievement Award honors individuals or groups who advance PAHA's goals of promoting research and awareness of the Polish-American experience and/or have made significant contributions to Polish or Polish-American community and culture.
- Amicus Poloniae Award recognizes significant contributions enhancing knowledge of Polish and Polish-American heritage by individuals not belonging to the Polish-American community.
- Distinguished Service Award is given occasionally to a member of PAHA who has rendered valuable and sustained service to the organization.
- Creative Arts Award recognizes the contributions in the field of creative arts by individuals or groups who have promoted an awareness of the Polish experience in the Americas.